Skip to main content

Final task

For my final Media Channels and Platforms task, I have made a prototype of an app. It is a combination of virtual scavenger hunt and social media. The idea is that one must go scavenger hunting for content that is created by other users and placed in different locations on the map. Every content has a category assigned to it as well. The content can be unlocked as soon as the player is on the same spot. Further on the finding can be shared with all other players or only friends in the social feed, where others can view it, comment and like. It would be also possible to leave a private comment to the creator and see what other people have commented on it.   One is able to share only content that he has found and it would not be possible to share your own created content.
It would be also possible to place our own content on any chosen location and get notifications of others finding it, leaving comments and sharing. For those who want to find something in their area of interest, there would be a filtering option, where one can choose what categories to see on the map.


Here is the prototype of the app, which has quite limited possibilities to interact. But it should be enough to get the general idea of it. If the link doesn't work then try to open it in a different browser.
https://xd.adobe.com/view/b862d28a-fd89-4dea-6b35-726682a2ebf3-ce53/

Now I want to talk about the social media aspect of the app. Social media users scroll every day through never-ending content on their feed without putting much effort into it. Much of the content gets unnoticed or forgotten easily. By combining the social media and the scavenger hunting aspect in my prototype I wanted to create a platform where people can share their interests, bring attention and remembrance to whatever they wish for others to see.  It would be also possible to invite friends, which can result in sharing interests with a certain group of people. Social media has become also quite self-centered, where the goal is to get as many likes as possible for your own posts. I wanted to encourage users to share someone else's content and therefore encourage giving some acknowledgment to the producer.

Process
So halfway while doing my project I actually realized that my final project is crap and there are quite many things that I did not consider beforehand. So I am not a very big fan of my own project, but I had to publish it anyway.
Before starting I did some benchmarking on scavenger hunt apps (mostly Munzee) and social media apps (Facebook and Instagram).
After I did sketches of the layout:



After that, I had to decide on the name of the app, which was quite irritating. I settled on calling it Fount. Here is my struggle on deciding on the name:


Then I moved on to deciding on the colour scheme, creating the logo, the whole layout and making the interactive prototype.

Conclusion
As I said I am not satisfied with the outcome of this project, however, I wanted to finish it for the final task. I did, however, look at the social media with a different perspective when creating the concept. I do believe that I could have spent more time planning the whole concept.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How did Cartoon Network shows evolve in time

Probably most of us remember or have heard about Cartoon Network animated TV series channel, which was particularly popular among 90's kids. In my case, it was a huge entertainment part of my childhood and I have seen it rapidly reforming from 2000 up until 2011 by the old shows being replaced by new ones. My main question in this blog post is: Is CN still something worth watching or did it diminish to please the newest generations? Now when asking someone else from my generation (mostly generation Z) about whether Cartoon Network has become something greater, the usual answer is: ''No, the old CN is gone and nothing can replace it''. Even though I do believe in that myself, I assume that there is that piece of our childhood that is irreplaceable so we do not want to cope with the fact that our favorite childhood cartoons can be replaced in any way. This is why in this blog post I will try to compare the new CN with the old one with an unbiased opinion of mine. E

Millie Bobby Brown on social media

Millie Bobby Brown is a 14-year-old actress known for her role in Netflix TV Show "Stranger Things". I chose to write about her because I have only seen her on the TV screen as her character Eleven and it was quite interesting to see who she is as Millie. I followed her account on both Facebook and Instagram. First of all, I was shocked to see how really different Millie looks comparing to what I have seen in Stranger Things. Even though she is only 14, from her social media accounts it seems that she wants to grow up too fast. She puts out videos and photos of where she is hanging out with adult celebrities and most of her own photos give the feeling that she is a grown up already.  Millie Brown as Eleven vs in real life (Image source: https://www.thisisinsider.com/stranger-things-cast-photos-2017-10 ) However, I see a similar pattern on Millie's Instagram account to other girls I know that are approximately the same age. Most of the girls this age are tryi

What media is allowed in North Korea

Whenever I am in need of seeking information, news or entertainment I know that I can access everything in a matter of seconds. I can find different press releases, opinions, use social media and create content of my own without any restrictions (vaguely speaking). However, not everywhere in the world it is possible and one of those countries is North Korea. For me, it is hard to imagine that I might not be able to freely consume different types of media in everyday life, which is the reason why the available media of North Korea raised my attention. Media in North Korea is one of the most strictly controlled in the world and falls under tight government's control. Even though North Korea states that the citizens have freedom of speech and press, the censorship is strictly enforced in domestic media releases. It is also prohibited to listen to the foreign broadcasts or consume any uncensored media, which is not controlled by the government. So what are the types of media allowed